Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Can Football Help or Hurt My Relationship?

Well it's that time of year again; pass the pigskin, grind on the gridiron. Football season has officially begun across the country. This can be a great time of year for couples who both love and appreciate the sport. There are many events and activities couples can participate in together to enjoy this great sport such as attending games together, watching games on TV, participating in online fantasy leagues, tailgating and of course engaging in conversation. For women, having a significant other or husband who's a football fanatic can be enhancing or horrifying depending on your level of interest.

 I am a southern girl so football was embedded in me at an early age. I have very fond memories of watching the games with my daddy. When I was really young, we had one TV and from August to the end of January ( back in the days when the Superbowl was at the end of January) our TV was on football. Personally, I love the sport. But that doesn't mean I want to live, eat, sleep and breathe the game. I know everyone is not into football. And I can't imagine why. But ladies if you'd rather be scrubbing the floors with a toothbrush than engage in football activities that doesn't make you a bad person. And you can survive the season, keep your sanity and your man's attention all at the same time. I have a list of Do's and Don'ts that will keep you winning this season:

DON'T:  Schedule events, outings or give him errands to run during game time. Ladies this is a big no, no. Don't play those " I wanna see if he loves me or football more games." First of all, you're an adult and should be in an adult relationship or marriage, so leave the game playing up to the professionals on the field. Secondly, your man has loved football long before he ever knew you existed. Don't try to come in between him and his enjoyment of the game. Football is way more than just a game for die-hard fans. 

DO: Make his favorite snacks. We all know men love food. And eating their faves while watching football is like cake and ice-cream or peanut butter and jelly. Sit down and watch with him. Now I know some of you are saying ( I knew she would say that.) Hear me out. You don't have to watch an entire game with him, but at least watch one quarter with him. He will appreciate your effort and attempt to participate in one of his favorite activities. And if the thought of watching any part of the game makes your insides hurt, then think about that wedding you dragged him to that he attended because of his love for you, or the family outing he attended out of town that he'd much rather had not. Relationships are comprise, sacrifice, consistency and selflessness. So get over yourself and watch a few minutes with him. During the commercials ask him a couple of questions and smile lovingly at his extensive knowledge of the sport. 

DON'T: Social network about him ignoring you during the games or how much you hate the sport. First of all you shouldn't post on social network about the troubles or not so good moments in your relationship anyway. But that's another blog for another day. Negativity brings contention and resentment to a relationship and you putting your negativity on social networking sites are childish and will probably bring up a conversation you could have avoided and don't want to have.  

DO: Find something to do while he's participating in sports activities. If he's out with friends watching a game or at a sporting event this is a great time for you to do something you enjoy. Instead of focusing on this is the 3rd game he's watched today, you could be catching up on some of your favorite shows, making phone calls to friends and family you don't talk to often, spending time with the kids or something else that is of your interest. To score extra points with your honey, if he's out text him and ask if he's having a good time or go in the living room and ask him if he needs anything. These small gestures go along way. 

So ladies, follow these do's and don'ts and you will score every time. 


4 comments:

  1. I think I love you... LOL! Great post! Especially the part where you said, "Don't play those " I wanna see if he loves me or football more games." Women will lose that match every single time. It's never good to come between a person's hobby because even if they decide to do it, then resentment will ultimately build. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My man is into Golf, so thankfully I don't have Football blues, but I agree completely. It would like him interrupting me when I am shopping. Not gonna happen! Don't get in the way of a woman and shopping. Now College football I will watch any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am. Shopping is crucial. Especially when it comes to shoes and sales. I need to be at peace when I'm in shopping mode.

      Delete