Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Doing The Right Thing Isn't Always Easy

I would love to start this blog off by telling you all that this has been the best year of my life. However, it would be more than just a slight fabrication. I don't want to sound drab, but the truth is I've been dealing with some trials, and I've faced my fair share of challenges. But, that's all a part of living, right? Of course it is. If you've read any of my other blogs, you know I'm no stranger to trials and tribulations, but I'm no quitter either. With all of that said, it's mid-April and this year alone, I've dealt with the loss of two very important people in life. They both transitioned within three weeks time. So, I have a void in my heart that has left me feeling a little empty but the love I have for them keeps me going knowing they are both resting well in a better place.

Some days my plate is so full, the load gets so heavy, and I get overwhelmed with my responsibilities, tasks, and routines. There are days when I want to go off on social media, I feel like cussing, and I want to do whatever is going to please my flesh. Yes, I do feel like this at times. However, I'm at the point in my life where I am thinking before doing, more often than I did when I was in my 20s or even five years ago for that matter. Although, I want to sometimes run away from life and create a new satisfying one for however long, I know that a temporary "fix" will not fix anything. It's easy to say to yourself and to others, "do the right thing." Believe me, I say it a lot to myself, my kids, and to others I'm close to. I guess because, there was a time in my life where it seemed as if I constantly gravitated towards doing the wrong thing. Those decisions caused a great deal of suffering for me. I learned a lot of lessons the hard way, and some decisions have had lasting effects.  Don't get me wrong, I still have to have talks with myself ( and certainly with God) about staying on the right path. Temptation is everywhere and it knocks on my door harder when it seems as if my world is topsy turvy. But that's just like the devil, isn't it? There was a time in my life where I wouldn't have thought twice about doing some of the things that I steer clear of doing today. Some would say that shows my growth and maturity. And , I will agree. However, I just know that those wrong decisions I made NEVER WORKED OUT for me. I seriously think about what will I gain if I do this or that. And more importantly, what will I lose and/or miss out on if I do.

Doing the right thing can be an uphill battle. And it's hard when you see those you love on a path of destruction. You know nothing good will come from the decisions they are making, but they won't hear what you're saying. The hardest thing to do is let go, let God and let them go through it. I had my epiphany on constantly making wrong choices, and I'm glad I did. Wrong choices leads to feeling empty, lonely, despair, uncertainty and it disconnects you from God. I try as a parent, and as a leader to those around me, to instill positivity while being transparent as much as possible. However, we are all individuals and we all know that experience is the best teacher. I just pray and hope that my experiences and those of my loved ones comes from making wise, healthy choices.

2 comments:

  1. Tough choices can eventually make the weakest people tougher. There are and will be times when we are faced with decisions that can prove detrimental to our well-being. That being said, those same decisions will be used as teachable moments. Whether the decision turns out in your favor or not, you should always know what to do or what not to do when and if the same situation comes up again.

    I have often looked back on the choices that I have made in my life, especially the bad ones. I thank God for them because I wouldn't be where I am today because of those bad choices. There was always a "growth moment" in each of them and, believe me, I have grown since. Your loved ones will have to go through them in order to learn anything. I can't promise the outcome will be pleasant but the lessons will surely be learned.

    Continue to seek God and pray for them. Pray for God's protection to remain around them as they go down their paths. You relationship with God is not just for you. It's so that others can see how God has moved in your life and on your behalf. When they see and understand how the power of God is evident in your life and how much you rely on Him, that's when they will see that there is no one else to rely on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and sharing your insight.

      Delete